exhibitions & events:
„Ferdinand Lepcke (1866-1909)”
|Author: Kurator: Inga Kopciewicz|
|Location of the exhibition: Modern Art Gallery – 8a Mennica Street on the Mill Island|
|Exhibition opens till: 2015-03-15|
The exhibition prepared by the Leon Wyczółkowski Regional Museum in Bydgoszcz is a monographic show. It is developed based on the collections of the Kunstsammlungen der Veste Coburg and the Städtische Sammlungen Coburg ̶ institutions from the native town of the artist and the Bydgoszcz Museum. The display of sculptures will be supplemented by illustrations made by Ferdinand Lepcke, portraits of the artist made by his contemporaries, multimedia presentation bringing closer the history of the Deluge Fountain in Bydgoszcz, and gypsum models used for casting its restoration.
The exhibition will be accompanied by a printed catalog with articles dedicated to the life and work of the artist, including his Bydgoszcz artworks.
Ferdinand Lepcke – German sculptor. Graduate, and since 1897 - professor of the Academy of Fine Arts in Berlin. He made monuments, fountain-sculptures, busts and hermas, as well as a number of small images of young women in the boudoir style. The artist was growing artistically in the atmosphere of the Neoclassicist style, being closer to the poetic style of early masters, particularly from antiquity, rather than to new styles brought by the Modernism (Jugendstil). His works are maintained in the spirit of academism, and only sometimes they feature elements of decorative stylization. The sculptor was a member of the elite group Berliner Künstverein. Even during his life he was a recognized artist, commissioned by many private buyers. He was only 27 when he received a national award, and in 1894 ̶ a gold medal for artistic achievements.
In Bydgoszcz, the artist became known as the author of the Deluge Fountain made in 1904 (restoration completed in 2014) and the outdoor statue of the Archer Lady, which were commissioned artworks.