kontrast:   czcionka: A A+ Muzeum bez barier
PL  EN

Join us on:



Muzeum


See also

exhibitions & events:




Exploseum

Postgerman explosive factory DAG in Bydgoszcz was transformed into unique tourist attraction in Bydgoszcz and its region. The Leon Wyczółkowski District Museum created the industrial architecture heritage park and the tourist route set in the nytroglicerine production zone. Exploseum DAG Fabrik Bromberg was developed in one of two production lines.

An architectonic project was created by studio Kleczkowski – Architect, an conceptual project was made by studio Stage & Design (based on The Leon Wyczółkowski District Museum exhibition’s scenario). This initiative is one of the Kuyavian-pomeranian voivodship ‘Regional Operational Programme’ 2007-2013 key projects which gave the ability of using EU funds.

 

History

Between 1939-1945 near Bydgoszcz city was created the huge armor factory destined for the 3rd Reich military usage. The combination of gunpowder and ammo secret production created by compulsory labour force belonged to Dynamit-Aktien Gesellschaft (DAG) which originate dates back to 19th century. It was the time when Alfred Nobel, the dynamite and smokeless gunpowder creator and founder of the NOBEL prize, established the company which grown to one of the biggest explosive producer in Germany but the particular company development lasted during Hitler’s regime. 

The establishment was divided into two parts:  exterritorial and meridian track Śląsk-Porty. Western  part Bauleitung I named as DAG Kaltwasser (Zimne Wody) was falling into NC-Betrieb (nitrocellulose production district), POL-Betrieb (smokeless gunpowder known as POL) with ballistics trials area and NGL-Betrieb (nitroglycerine). Eastern area - Bauleitung II and DAG Brahnau (Łęgowo) consists of TRI-Betrieb and DI-B-Betrieb (trinitrotoluene, dinitrobenzene used in V1 bullets) and Füllstelle (ammo filling f.ex. iron bomb, whiz-bang and gunpowder freight)

The spatial character of the establishment resulted from aspiration to minimalise the explosion  risk and effects. Several parts of the production process was divided into two separated small buildings. Technological links relied on underground tunnels. This was an example of production line. All of the buildings were situated  on a different relief. Germans avoided build-up areas but the way out in every building was on different site. It was to prevent the chain reactions of destroying in case of explosion. Production consisted of  two twin production lines to forfend the production in case of outages and other accidents like sabotage or warfare.

Production buildings and warehouses were built in frame structures which contained reinforced concrete pillars covered by flat roof. Buildings, in case of explosion, had blowout walls – made from wood and glass to receive the shock wave in case of fire. Staff was able to use refracted escape tunnels ended by safety shelters. All roofs were covered by few centimeters of soil with conifer, bushes and other plants. Facades of the buildings and even roads and tracks were painted green or khaki. Winding forest paths were the base for roads and streets. In early 1944 Germans were to build fake factory – huge imitation of DAG, situated about 2-3 km away from the real one.

Constant production was held till the end of Bydgoszcz occupation. A few days before soviet and polish army trespass, Germans decided to evacuate all of their staff. Germans took or destroyed technical files and got outside of the city.  Kämpf CEO was the last person who left the buildings and went to DAG Salchow in Meklemburg.  

The second Belarussian front occupied Bydgoszcz between 24 – 26 January 1945. Red Army Trophy Commission gave an order to deliver all of the technical devices to USSR. The buildings were given to Polish governors. The chemicals company founded in 50s was remade to ‘Organika-Zachem Chemicals’.

 

 

 


 





Designed: Jimpenny / Programmed: FreshData